The Midwest AIDS Training Education Center (MATEC) is a federally funded center that provides AIDS and HIV clinical training and support to health care professionals. Its mission is to enhance the capacity of HIV clinical services and improve the quality of those services for people living with HIV in our region.
MATEC has built connections with the top HIV clinicians and researchers in the Midwest to offer health care professionals targeted training and direct access to expert information. MATEC is a part of a national network of AIDS Education and Training Centers, serving all states and territories and including four supporting national centers. Visit the National Resource Center website for more information about the national network.
MATEC is based at the Department of Family Medicine, College of Medicine. MATEC provides HIV training and support services through local sites in seven Midwestern states including Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin. Each site is charged with developing services to meet the needs of health care professionals in their area.
MATEC Missouri Site
Kansas City CARE Clinic is the Missouri local performance site for MATEC. The Clinic is the only non-University affiliated site in the Midwest and in the country. As a local MATEC performance site, the Clinic:
- Provides trainings to health care professionals in the state on all aspects of HIV prevention and treatment.
- Provides opportunities for health care professionals to increase their direct patient skills by working side by side with our clinical staff or the clinical staff at Washington University in St. Louis.
- Provides opportunities for health care professionals to attend trainings and clinical preceptorships in Chicago with MATEC staff.
- Provides clinics or individual providers with technical assistance and training to increase their capacity to provide HIV care.
- Provides consultation services to health care professionals across the state on individual patient situations.
MATEC-MO Local Performance Site Staff
- Sally Neville, Site Director
- Alicia Downes, Program Manager
- Tusday Dudley, Regional Training Specialist in Kansas City
- Simone Phillips, Regional Training Specialist in St. Louis